About the Carnival of Radical Feminists:
The Carnival of Radical Feminists will be held each month on the full moon. Hosting responsibility will be shared, and at least to begin with, pending additional radfem suggestions and process, our goal will be to foreground posts in the feminist blogosphere which highlight or showcase radical feminist analsis, theorizing, process, events, politics, and ideas, and which celebrate and honor sisterhood as it has been herstorically envisioned by radical feminists.
We hope the Carnival of Radical Feminists will build the profile of radical feminist bloggers, will direct extra traffic to participating bloggers, and particularly newer radical feminist bloggers, and will build radical feminist community worldwide.
All submissions consistent with herstoric radical feminism are welcome, whether they are written by men or women, and even if the blogger does not specifically identify as a radical feminist (yet!).
We define radical feminism as follows:
- We believe that women are oppressed worldwide by patriarchy, the “rule of the fathers”;
- We seek to abolish patriarchy;
- We understand patriarchy to be a system of structures and institutions created by men in order to sustain and recreate male power and female subordination. The structures of patriarchy include, but are not limited to, the law, medicine, religion and the traditional family;
- Women’s oppression is rooted in both the structures of our society and in capitalism and white supremacy. Patriarchy includes not only male rule but also heterosexual imperialism and sexism (Charlotte Bunch);
- In order to abolish patriarchy, we must challenge its root components and causes which we locate in oppression of females by males;
- We believe that the uprooting of sexism simultaneously inaugurates the uprooting of racism, class hatred, homophobia, lesbophobia, transphobia, ageism, ableism, competition, hierarchy, ecological disaster, and economic exploitation of all kinds;
- The revolutions, so-called, which the world has known to date, have been coups-d’etat between men which have pruned certain branches but have left the root embedded for the sake of preserving male privilege over all women (Robin Morgan);
- We are a journey of women becoming. We do not seek reconciliation with the fathers; rather, we affirm our original birth, our original source, movement, surge of living. We Re-member our Selves (Mary Daly);
- We are woman-identified and woman-centered. We put women first, not only in our politics but in our personal lives;
- The expression of our politics is concrete: we oppose pornography, prostitution, the institution of marriage and the traditional family, sadomasochism, compulsory heterosexuality, gender coercion, and dominance hierarchies of all kinds; we endorse, support and work to envision and create peaceful, respectful, noncoercive, relationships, structures and institutions which affirm the importance of all human beings, all creatures, and the earth;
- We affirm lesbianism and lesbian separatism as revolutionary paths for all women who choose them.
- We understand gender as a structure and system of subordination, and as such, we seek its eradication.
- We pursue and celebrate sisterhood.
Hosting Schedule (Carnival of Radical Feminists is Held on the Full Moon)
|Year||Month||Day||Hosted by||Submission Deadline|
|2007||May||2, Wed||Heart,Women’s Space||Wed, April 25|
|2007||June||5, Tues||Ann Bartow, Feminist Law Professors and Sivacracy||Wed, May 29|
|2007||June||30, Sat||Jo, Stanselen||Wed, June 20|
|2007||Jul||30, Mon||Egarooo||Wed, July 18|
|2007||Aug||28, Tues||Akkari, Spontaneous Combustion||Wed, Aug 15|
|2007||Sept||26, Wed||Laurelin||Wed, Sept 12|
|2007||Oct||26, Fri||Burrow, Angry for a Reason||Wed, Oct 10|
|2007||Nov||24, Sat||Pippa (One Salford Feminist)||Wed, Nov 14|
|2007||Dec||24, Mon||LaDoctorita, Unconventional Beauty||Friday, Dec. 21|
|2008||Jan||22, Tues||April, Femtique||Tues., Jan. 8|
|2008||Feb||20||Holly, Menstrual Poetry||Wed., Feb. 13|
|2008||Mar||21 Friday||Debs, The Burning Times||Fri., Mar. 14|
|2008||Apr||20 Friday||Anji, Shut Up Sit Down||Fri., Apr. 13|
|2008||May||19 Monday||Maggie Jochild, Maggie’s Metawatershed||Mon., May 12|
|2008||June||18 Wed||Nine Deuce, Rage Against the Manchine||Wed. June 11|
|2008||July||18 Friday||Allecto, Gorgon Poisons||Fri., July 11|
|2008||Aug.||16 Sat||Dissenter, Spinning Spinsters||Sat, August 9|
|2008||Sept.||15 Mon.||V,Resisterance, witchy, and Laurelin||Mon, Sept. 8|
|2008||Oct.||14 Tues.||Pisaquari, Buried Alive||Tues., October 7|
|2009||Jan||4 Sunday||Rain RadFemSpeak||Sun, Jan. 11|
The first Carnival of Feminists was hosted by me, Heart, at Women’s Space, on Wednesday, May 2, 2007. You can use the Blog Carnival submission form (preferred) for upcoming carnivals.
Feel free to copy and paste the logo image above freely on your blogs and to spread the word about the Carnival of Radical Feminists.
Listings of other carnivals can be found here.
Cheryl Lindsey Seelhoff (Heart)
(Primary blog: Women’s Space)